It's been a really long time since I posted any recipes. Here are two I made this summer, which were awesome enough to remind me that I have a recipe blog! The first is a non-intentional vegan recipe--Tahini Pesto Pasta Salad. All the nutty, creamy flavor of regular pesto, but with tahini instead of nuts and cheese! It was an unexpected delight. And the second recipe is my first try (!) at making Mushroom Soup. I, of course, can't make a simple soup, so I added a little more protein, and some kale. I made it in the blazing warmth of August, but this soup would be great for a cold autumn evening.
Tahini Pesto Pasta Salad
For the Tahini Pesto:
8 Tbsp. Tahini
2 Tbsp. minced Garlic
1½ cups Basil leaves
½ cup Parsley leaves
½ teaspoon Salt
Ground Black Pepper
1-2 Tbsp. Lemon juice, to taste
1 tsp. White Sugar
Olive Oil, as needed
¼ cup Water (more as needed)
For the pasta salad:
1 box/bag of shaped Pasta of your choice
1 heaping cup cherry or grape Tomatoes, halved or quartered
2 medium Zucchini s, cut into ¼-inch thick chunks
1/2-1 Red Onion, sliced (to taste)
1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
1 cup Green Peas, fresh or frozen and thawed
1 can Garbanzo Beans
- Make Pesto: Combine tahini, garlic, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and sugar to a food processor or magic bullet. Pulse until everything is well blended, adding more water as needed.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Then drain water.
- Return pasta to the large pot and stir in tahini pesto. Add more olive oil as needed.
- In a large frying pan, sauté onions, red bell peppers, and zuccini.
- Combine pasta, sautéed vegetables, garganzo beans, and sliced tomatoes.
- Serve warm or cold
Wild Rice, Mushroom, Chicken and Kale Soup
1 cup wild rice
5 Tbsp. Butter, room temperature, divided
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 boxes of Mushrooms of your choice (Crimini, mini Portabello, etc.), chopped
1 Leek, sliced
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Tomato Paste
2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
4 cups low-sodium Chicken Broth
1 cup dry White Wine
3 tablespoons chopped Parsley
1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
¼ teaspoon Salt
½ cup Heavy Cream
1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- In a medium pan, cook wild rice according to package’s instructions.
- In a medium skillet, sauté onions and chicken until tender. In the last minute, add kale. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter with the olive oil. Add mushrooms, minced garlic, sliced leek and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooking vegetables and stir constantly, until the flour starts to stick to the bottom of the pot. Add the wine and broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add salt, ground black pepper, paprika, parsley, cooked rice, and chicken/onion/kale mixture, cream, and soy sauce, and cook until heated through.