Sunday, October 28, 2012

Potato, Apple, Parsnip Stew and Pumpkin Cranberry Pie



This week we have a short list of recipes. But they are both super good. One of my co-workers mentioned she made a Cream of Apple and Parsnip Soup a few weeks ago. I didn't think much of it; it didn't seem all that exciting to me (and I'm all about exciting soups!). But the more I thought of it, the more I realized that I could made it any way I wanted (i.e. not creamed). So, a new-soup-of-the-week was born. It is glorious!

And then this last week I wanted to make a unique pie for my small group Bible Study. I had a can of pumpkin in my pantry, so I went to Pinterest and started searching. I am so glad I found this pie. Although, it would be nice to try a Cranberry Swirl Pumpkin Pie next time.

Potato, Apple, and Parsnip Stew
Multiple Servings (includes 3-4 servings of vegetables and fruit)

Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
1 Leek, chopped
3 Red Potatoes, cubed (¼ inch)
1 Sweet Potato, peeled and cubed (¼ inch)
2 Parsnips, cubed (¼ inch)
1 large Apple or 2 small Apples (I used Fuji), diced
1 can low sodium White Beans
1 carton low sodium Chicken Broth
Garlic
Black Pepper
Paprika
1-2 Tbsp. Oregano
2 Tbsp. Parsley
1 Tbsp. White Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar

Roast cubed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and parsnips on 2 olive oiled baking sheets. 400 degrees, for 30-40 minutes.

When there are about 20 minutes remaining, sauté onions and leeks in a large soup pot. Before they brown, add apples. Then pour in beans, broth, spices and herbs. Add roasted vegetables. Bring to a boil, add vinegars. Reduce heat and simmer for about half an hour.

Serve with Parmesan Cheese.


Pumpkin Cranberry Pie
Multiple servings (includes 2 servings of vegetables and fruits)

Dough:
1 cup + 2 Tbsp. Flour
1/3 cup Oil
5 Tbsp. Cold Water

Combine ingredients. Roll out between two pieces of wax paper. Place in greased pie pan. Arrange crust edges as desired. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.

Pumpkin Filling:
15 oz can Pumpkin
3 Eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup Half & Half or Heavy Whipping Cream
1 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Flour
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Allspice
1/8 tsp. Cloves

Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl, then pour dry ingredients on top and lightly stir. Stir everything together until well blended. Pour into prepared crust. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees and then remove from oven.

Cranberry Topping:
1/2 bag of fresh Cranberries, washed well and chopped
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbsp. Flour
2 Tbsp. Butter

Cut butter into flour. Add sugar and cranberries. Mix until well combined. Sprinkle cranberry mixture on top of pie. Bake for another 45-60 minutes, or until top begins to brown and an inserted knife comes out clean.

Serve alone or with homemade Whipped Cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...