Monday, December 12, 2011

As the weather gets colder, my kitchen gets warmer. . .


Spaghetti Squash has been a staple in my diet these last few weeks. It's so versatile and delicious, and yet somehow I have neglected to post a recipe. Here is a basic marinara for you to enjoy. It can be mixed with regular pasta, but it definitely doesn't need to be.

This granola is a variation on my mom's family famous recipe. If you're like me, mixing cereal is the way to go. I often combine this flavor-filled granola with Cheerios or Shredded Wheat.

And yesterday I go an immense hankering for Potato Leek soup, so I made my way to the store and purchased the desired ingredients. I'm glad I did. It turned out marvelously.

Potato Leek Soup
Multiple Servings/Family Size (includes 3-4 servings of vegetables)

3 tsp. Butter
Garlic
3 Large Leeks, chopped
1 cup ground Turkey
5 Medium Red Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 Zucchini, chopped
1 Carton of Low Sodium Chicken Broth
Black Pepper
Paprika
Parsley
3 tsp. White Vinegar



In large soup pot, sauté leeks and garlic in a butter. Add ground turkey and zucchini, black pepper and paprika. Stir until vegetables begin to brown. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes. Once potatoes are soft, add parsley and vinegar.
 

Granola
Multiple Servings/Family Size (includes 1 serving of fruit)
*Inspired by my mother, Sharon Rediner

3 oz Oil
3 oz Honey
1 tsp. Cinnamon
3 cups Oats
¼ cup Flax Seed, Roasted
½-1 cup Chopped Nuts (I used almonds)
Cranberries or Raisins

Measure out oats, flax seed and nuts into a large bowl. In a small sauce pan, bring oil, honey and cinnamon to a boil. Pour contents of sauce pan over oats, etc, stirring well.
Pour oats, etc. onto a greased edged cookie sheet. Bake at 250 degrees for 45-60 minutes. Half way through, stir to prevent sticking. When done baking, let sit in cookie sheet for 3 hours, or overnight. 


Spaghetti Squash Marinara 
1 Serving (includes 4 servings of vegetables)

Olive Oil
Garlic
Onions, chopped
Mushrooms, chopped
Green beans (frozen or fresh)
Spaghetti Squash, pre-cooked (Click here for instructions)
4 oz Tomato Pasta
3 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Italian Herbs
Black Pepper
Parmesan Cheese

Sauté onions, garlic, mushrooms and green beans in small amount of oil olive. Add spaghetti squash. Cook until vegetables begin to brown. Add tomato paste, water, vinegar and herbs. Continue to heat and stir until well-blended. Top with parmesan cheese.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...